Hi All!

Happy Wednesday!  Hope you are having a great week.  You may have caught a glimpse of dark hardwood floors in some of my posts.  Today I would like to share the stairway transformation that became part of updating to hardwood floors.  Here's a sneak peek at how it looks today.
Below you see how our stairway looked before we got started - navy blue carpet with lots of cherry wood.
It was time for some updates!

Before we could get started, my husband and  I first had to find common ground in our vision of what an upgrade meant.  Our initial translations were just a tad different.

Translations:

To my husband upgrades meant buying new navy blue carpet to
replace the old navy blue carpet.  (mmmmm, no)

To me upgrades meant hardwood floors, with stained treads on the stairs to match the new floors, risers painted white and a much darker handrail.

Once we decided on hardwood flooring (enough said) - I still had it in my head that I also wanted to update the stairway.  You might as well know - when I get something in my head I am determined to accomplish it.  I joke about Mr Niche's resistance to change sometimes - but he really is a good sport; he concedes that when it comes to decorating that's my area - - and when it's all done  - - he's happy when I'm happy.   But I still try to incorporate his desires into any major changes.
Sooooo, one day I removed the little wooden plugs and started to sand and sand and sand and wonder what the heck I  got my self into and sand and sand and wonder and sand and sand.  Seriously - it  seemed like a gazillion spindles - okay maybe not quite a gazillion - but  there are over 50 of them!   Then after all the sanding and cleaning up  was done I started to stain and then paint.  That part of the process seemed to  go much quicker.  Sorry, no in between photos.

At some point, I peaked under  the carpet - that is when, I slapped it back down and decided to let the treads  to the professional.  I am determined; however, I also know when to step aside  and hire someone.  Who knew - there are different types of stairs - one for  putting carpet on and the other for looking at - these were not the looking at  kind!!!

So here is what we ended up with.
I couldn't find the right color of stain; so I ended up blending colors to match the darkest tones in the hardwood flooring.
A view from the top - that's a lot of spindles!
Another look.
Picture
Before
Picture
After
So do you have a stairway that you would love to update?  If so, maybe this can be your inspiration for getting started or maybe you've already refinished yours - either way, I'd love to hear about it.
Enjoy!!!

Comments

06/18/2012 20:50

I have been thinking about doing my stairs and I love what you did to yours. Did you paint the stairs that color? or buy new wood and stain it? I am now your newest follower :) How did I find you? Your comment on my blog about painting your front door black :)
Bj

06/18/2012 21:35

Thank you! The original steps were carpet grade (not pretty) - so we had to have the treads replaced and then I got to stain them and paint the risers. Happy you found me :) I started following you also.

06/18/2012 21:14

Looks awesome! I can't imagine the time involved with all that sanding! Great job :)
Saw you at Debbiedoo's

06/18/2012 21:51

Hi Debbie,

Thank you; it was time consuming but once the paint started to go on the spindles I felt like I could see progress. Thanks for stopping by - I linked up to Dew Drop Gardens - - I love that potting bench of yours!

06/18/2012 21:14

WOW, amazing job! you must be so proud and so very happy. Your staircase looks beautiful. thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

06/18/2012 21:57

Hi Debbie,

Thank you!!! I'll confess it was a little scary at first but - what the heck it's only paint (and stain). Thank you for hosting the newbie party and stopping by!

06/18/2012 21:36

Your staircase is beautiful. Your hard work really paid off!

06/19/2012 19:36

Thank you, Andrea! It was a significant time investment but it turned out being worth while. I've marked Town and Prarie your Southern Time Capsule is very interesting; I'll be stopping back for more. Thank you for stopping by!

Absolutely stunning transformation! Love, love, love it. I'm visiting from Make it Yourself Monday :)

06/19/2012 19:55

Thank you Carolyn! I'll be stopping back to My Simple Messterpiece - I love your transformation, tried to comment but I had some difficulties on my end. Thank you Again!!!

WOW. This is absolutely stunning. The contrast between the stain and the paint is so beautiful and eye-catching. I'm sure this was a lot of work...but what fantastic results!! Thanks so much for linking up at Mop It Up Monday. Have a great week!
{HUGS},
kristi

06/19/2012 20:00

Thank you, Kristi! Time and work - the fact that it is the first thing you see when you open our front door kept me very motivated. Thank you for the kind comments and stopping by!

06/19/2012 01:34

Sherry I am blown away by this makeover. Gorgeous with a capital G! Your stairway is perfect in my book. Wow! Found you via Debbiedoo's newbie party and very glad I did!

06/19/2012 20:07

Oh Shannon - you are so kind - these positive comments should keep me floating for a while!! I popped over to SMC by Design I can see I will be spending sometime over there - I am loving the Nun collection already. I just love Debbiedoo's Newbie Party; I am finding lots of great people and blogs!!!

06/19/2012 07:49

That is an icredible amount of work! Extremely attractive and well done! Kudos to you!

06/19/2012 20:14

Thank you so much Debra! I greatly appreciate the kind words. It was a lot of work but I can say I would do it again - - just not anytime soon. Thanks for stopping by and now Listen to Me - I'll be stopping by Home Spun for some more exploring. Thank you again!

06/19/2012 22:53

Wow that is beautiful.
My husband wanted to do wood. I vetoed it and we went with carpet. Yours looks amazing. It makes me wish we had done wood.
Visiting from Debbie Doos.
Katie-Let's Add Sprinkles

06/20/2012 17:03

Thank you, Katie!

06/19/2012 22:54

I am dying to do this at our house! This looks fabulous! Visiting from Debbiedoo's

06/20/2012 17:06

Thank you Jacque - I am looking forward to seeing the pictures when you are done!

06/20/2012 21:07

I am just craving a change to hardwood floors. Yours are gorgeous Sherry!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena
2012 Artists Series

06/20/2012 21:37

Hi Karena,

Thank you; it took me a while to decide on the wood color (half of that time trying to figure out what I would do with the stairs and bannister) but after it was done - I don't know why I waited so long. Thank you again.

06/21/2012 06:59

Love it .. Im dying to rip my carpet up ..
Are they slippery ?

Hugs
Brooke

06/21/2012 18:56

Thank you Brooke. I know that feeling - I kept trying to sneak a peek until one day I just said - let me see what's under there... No, they aren't slippery at all.

06/21/2012 09:14

These are really an inspiration. I repainted the spindles for our staircase and it made such a huge difference.

06/21/2012 20:00

Hi Niki,

Thank you - I'd love to see what you did; it does make such a difference. I'm excited to try your no-bake chocolate oat bars - they sound yummy!

06/21/2012 11:31

Your stairs are gorgeous and it's such an amazing transformation with your new hardwood flooring!

We just did something very similar in our basement :)

06/21/2012 20:07

Hi Laura,

Thank you! Your basement steps turned out great! Thank you for sharing!

06/22/2012 09:20

I love your new stairs. I wish I had a nice stair case like this in my house. It looks great! I would love for you to share with my linky party going on now http://thecraftyblogstalker.blogspot.com/2012/06/blog-stalking-thursday-46.html Blog Stalking Thursday. Thanks!

06/22/2012 16:19

Hi Katie,

Thank you for the invite and the compliment! Looks like I need to spend some time exploring (or should I say stalking) your site to see what you have been up to... Thank you again!

06/22/2012 22:36

Very nice!

06/24/2012 06:13

Thank you, Kara!

Featuring you tomorrow! Thank you again for linking up. This is such a fantastic project with outstanding results.

{HUGS},
kristi

06/24/2012 06:19

Oh, WOW!!! Thank you, Kristi!!! You have truly made my day - thank you soooooo much for the feature!!! {HUGS}

06/24/2012 15:52

Please come do my stairs!!! This is a project I have wanted to do for so long now, but the thought of all that work scares me!!! :)

06/24/2012 16:09

Hi Stephanie,

Thank you! You can do it - it is a lot of work but I think it's worth it. My biggest motivator was that it is the first thing you see when you come in the door so it kept me moving. If you decide to do it - make sure you post some pictures!

This is a wonderful, wonderful redo! What a great job you did matching the stain. It contrasts so nicely with the white spindles and risers (boy, your arms and hands must be tired). Great inspiration. Thank you!

06/25/2012 18:35

Hi Katie, Thank you!!! For a while it felt strange when I wasn't sanding - but that was soon forgotten when I got the paint brush in my hand. Thank you, again.

06/25/2012 17:11

WOW! This is an incredible makeover! I'll be fearuing it tomorrow :)
XO
Kristin

06/25/2012 18:42

Double WOW!!! Thank you Kristen! You have made my day! Thank you for the feature!!!

06/26/2012 07:06

LOVE IT Sherry!! Fabulous job!

Thanks soooo much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality! Don't forget to stop by this evening and link up your newest creations! :)

06/26/2012 17:43

It was my pleasure, Christine so thank you!!! I like that - "from dream to reality" - it all starts with the dream.

06/27/2012 11:22

Breathtaking! I LOVE how the stairs turned out, it completely changed the look of the room. Thanks for linking up at Doodles & Stitches Link Party.

06/27/2012 21:45

Awwwwh - Thank you Nicole!!!

06/27/2012 13:12

You did a great job, I need to do the same thing, but with the kids home I think I will wait.

06/27/2012 21:48

Hi Ann,

Thank you! That's probably a good idea - I like doing (or at least starting) projects like this when I have the house to myself. I want to see the pictures when you are done!

Stephanie
06/27/2012 22:34

Absoluately beautiful!! You're inspiring me. I need to redo our stairs. We installed walnut floors and now our honey oak staircase looks worse than before. Can you share some details? What are your floors? What stain (brand and color combo) did you use? Any tips would be appreciated!

07/01/2012 10:53

Hi Stephanie,

I posted this in the wrong place so I am reposting it so you are sure to see it. I used the following mixture:

5 parts - Folk Art Mahogany Stain
2 parts - Americana Semi-Opaque Burnt Umber
1 part - Folk Art Maple Stain
1 part - Folk Art Walnut Stain

Depending on what type of wood you have you may want to adjust to get your desired color. If memory serves me - once I figured out the recipe I made 3 batches and I have plenty left over. I can't wait to see your staircase!

06/27/2012 22:35

Hi Sherry! Your stairs and spindles look amazing. I just finished stripping the paint off of my stair spindles and staining them. Such a tedious task. Never again! LOL! I would love to rip the carpet up next. You have really inspired me to get it done. Thank you for sharing.

07/01/2012 10:38

Hi Brandi, Thank you!!! Your spindles came out Great!!! I'll be watching for your stairs.

06/28/2012 00:57

The transformation is stunning. This is my favorite look for floors/staircase and your end result is perfect. Beautiful!!

07/01/2012 10:40

Thank you Shari!!!

06/28/2012 07:29

I have always wanted steps like this. Is it expensive to have done and are the stairs slippery when you have socks on?

07/01/2012 10:46

Hi Tammy,

Thank you! The price depends if you need to replace the treads on the steps - I think they ran a couple hundred dollars to replace. Other than that it was sandpaper, paint (that I already had from the other trim) and the stain. Ours are not slippery in socks. Thank you again.

06/28/2012 08:48

This looks so fantastic!! I do have a staircase that I want to redo - same as you, in conjunction with installing hardwood floors. And I also have the non-pretty stairway treads that need to be replaced. Patiently waiting, still looking at different flooring, but really excited to get it done (especially when I see pictures like yours!).

07/01/2012 10:50

Hi Jenny, Thank you so much - always happy to give others some inspiration. I know it took us for-ever to get started but it's a big decision and you want to make sure but funny thing for us was - after all that looking around I came back to my first choice - I was just steering away from it because the steps didn't match. Once I decided we could re do them it was an easy decision. Good luck - I want to see pictures!!!

06/28/2012 17:58

Hi Stephanie, Thank you!!! Our floors are also walnut. I couldn't find the color that I wanted premixed. So, I ended up creating my own mix from 3 colors of stain in the little bottles of stain you get at the craft store. I wrote down my recipe - I just need to find it and then I will post it for you. I started out just mixing a couple of drops of each and testing it on a scrap piece of wood - when I thought I was close I tested it on the back side of one of the steps. I'll get back to you on what I find on the stain. Thanks again - and you know I'll want to see the pictures!!!!

Stephanie
06/30/2012 12:38

Thanks Sherry. That will be great!

07/01/2012 10:32

Hi Stephanie,

Sorry for the delay. I used the following mixture:

5 parts - Folk Art Mahogany Stain
2 parts - Americana Semi-Opaque Burnt Umber
1 part - Folk Art Maple Stain
1 part - Folk Art Walnut Stain

Stephanie
07/02/2012 19:50

Wonderful! Thanks so much. Now I just need to get the energy to do all the sanding...

07/04/2012 09:19

Hi Stephanie,

If your like me you will wake up one day and say today is the day - keep me posted on your progress. I can't wait to see it!!! Happy 4th!

07/07/2012 07:49

Looks beautiful!!! We want to do hardwood, too, and I would love to do our stairs. I am now thankful that our spindles are already white! :)

07/07/2012 08:12

Thank you, Tricia!!! We are very happy we decided on hardwood. Lucky you - already white spindles will save you from a lot of sanding!!!

Karolina
07/12/2012 10:04

Looks Awesome!!!

Im about to try the same just replacing my picket to iron, not to sand soooo much, but I will still have to sand the posts/railing,/stringers.
did you use simething to remove the laquer?
a chemical or just sanding?
what type of sand paper?
Did you do sanding/staining of the posts/railing in place?

sorry for so many questions, but its a big task to undertake, so I need the info :) Thx

07/12/2012 18:40

Hi Karolina,

Thank you!!! Ask away...(no problem) Lucky you - I love the look of iron (and less sanding)!!! No chemicals - just lots of sanding - I was able to start with a medium grit then moved to the finer grit. I also used a small electric sander (a mouse) in some of the areas. I liked the sanding blocks with the angled corners to get into the nooks and crannies. Everything was left in place for the sanding and staining. Good luck - I'd love to see it when you are done!!!

Mary Wolf
10/11/2012 11:57

I am doing a similar project to my bannister and am happy I found your pictures. What kind of protection did you put on over the white? I'm afraid of yellowing.

10/15/2012 04:45

Hi Mary,

Thank you for stopping by. I used semi gloss white paint with no protection. I use white semi-gloss for all of my baseboards and mouldings and it stays bright white with no yellowing over the years. You may get an occassional scuff on the risers but they wipe right off with a light swipe with a magic eraser. Good luck with your project. I'd love to see your before and after pictures.

Sherry

Your comment will be posted after it is approved.